Monday, April 9, 2012

A stroll around a little plant nursery

Finally a stunningly beautiful day and I slept through most of it following my night shifts. Such is life. Hopefully the fine weather will continue and I can catch up on some gardening and the mountain of washing which has accumulated.

These photos were taken a few months ago at one of my favourite garden nurseries. It is such an informal tiny nursery in the yard of the house where the owners live, but it has such a fun vibe.

Old claw foot baths are now so popular that they are well out of my price range. But I do like them in a garden setting.

I'm toying with planting ornamental grasses for their low maintenance value.





I love Nikau palms, but they grow absolutely enormous (and can be a bit tricky to get going)




This pony tail palm must be very old. You don't get a true sense of how big it is in this photo, but let me assure you it was BIG. I had one that was growing very nicely until the cats discovered its teeth-flossing benefits. After that it never stood a chance. I like them indoors, with their gracefully flowing fronds.




I'm rather taken with this. I have no idea where I'd put one though. Must work on it.




Are they Security, do you think? They look fierce enough!
I like the way the pumice has had a hole chiselled through the centre. Seeing another plant through it gives it a whole new dimension. We have pumice a-plenty lying on the beaches here, so this would be easy to copy, perhaps when I am stuck for a gift idea.




This colours did look a lot nicer in person. The photo makes it look very drab.




I'm not sure if these grow naturally like this or whether they have been clipped into balls   
This was at a different garden centre and made me a bit sad, I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment